A complete skin and wound assessment is done on every patient upon admission to ICON Hospital by a Certified Wound Care Nurse. The Wound Care Program focuses on several facets of skin and wound management. An individualized treatment plan is formulated for each patient focusing on existing skin and wound issues and the prevention of any new skin problems.
One of the most important aspects of our wound care program is prevention of skin breakdown. So many factors affect the health of a patient's skin. Disease processes, nutritional health, hydration and age are just a few of the things our physicians, nurses and dietitians monitor on an ongoing basis. All of the hospital disciplines participate in and provide input into the Wound Care Program. It is the job of the Wound Care Nurse to take those observations and recommendations and implement a comprehensive and individualized Wound Care Program. Some of the things the Wound Care Nurse takes into consideration are:
- The use of a specialized pressure reducing mattress.
- The use of a specialized pressure reducing chair or wheel chair cushion.
- Monitoring lab work for issues such as protein depletion or dehydration.
- Implementation of Wound Care protocols to prevent skin breakdown or promote healing.
- The use of negative-pressure wound therapy, commonly referred to as Wound-Vac.
- Patient and family education to prevent any future skin breakdown.
The patient's skin condition and wound care is managed by frequent skin assessments by the entire clinical team. Wounds are photographed and measured, and treatment plans are reviewed weekly to track progress and monitor treatment plan effectiveness.
Our goal is to manage a patient's wounds aggressively during the patient's stay at ICON Hospital with consideration for on-going care post-discharge as needed.
ICON Hospital has comprehensive services providing the latest technology to assist in your diagnosis and treatment plan.
ICON Hospital provides outpatient imaging with minimal to no waiting. ICON Hospital also offers the following outpatient services:
- Wound Care
- Podiatry Services
- Pain Management